Doctor of Philosophy
Supervisor: Dr. Patricia Dolez
Thesis (working) Title: Predicting the end-of-life of fire-protective fabrics
The area of the research corresponds to current issues encountered with protective clothing against heat and flame, which include materials aging, lack of comfort, and protection against toxic combustion gases. For instance, intense heat and other severe conditions sustained by protective clothing against heat and flame in service cause a premature aging of the high-performance fibres; what makes it even more worrisome is that there are sometimes no visible clues before the loss in performance has reached a dangerous level.
As part of his doctoral research project, Saiful studies the aging behaviour of fabrics used as an outer shell in protective clothing against heat and flame to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms and kinetics of degradation resulting from exposure to conditions encountered in service. He will also develop predictive models of the residual performance of the fabrics as a result of use.
Publications or other research contributions
Peer Reviewed Published Articles
- Chakraborty, S., Kabri, S.M., Hoque, M.S., Das, T.S. (2021, September). Will Reshoring of Textile and Apparel Manufacturing Rise or Decline in the USA? In Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, 12(2),1-9.
- Chakraborty, S., Hoque, M.S., Rahman Jeem, N., Biswas, M. C., Bardhan, D., & Lobaton, E. (2021, September). Fashion Recommendation Systems, Models and Methods: A Review. In Informatics (Vol. 8, No. 3, p. 49). Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute.
- Shuvo, I. I., Hoque, M. S., Shadhin, M., & Khandakar, L. K. (2021). Flexural Strength and Load–Deflection Behaviour of Hybrid Thermoset Composites of Wood and Canola Biopolymers. Advanced Fiber Materials, 1-16.
- Sikdar, P. P., Uddin, M. M., Dip, T. M., Islam, S., Hoque, M. S., Dhar, A. K., & Wu, S. (2021). Recent Advances in Smart Hydrogels Synthesis. Materials Advances. DOI: 10.1039/D1MA00193K
- Chakraborty, S., Hoque, M. S., & Surid, S. M. (2020). A Comprehensive Review on Image Based Style Prediction and Online Fashion Recommendation. Journal of Modern Technology and Engineering, 5(3), 212-233.
- Rashid, M. A., Hoque, M. S., & Hossain, M. J. (2020). Developing a New Hydrose Wash Technique for Treating Denim Fabric. Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series E, 1-8.
- Hossain, M. J., Hoque, M. S., & Rashid, M. A. (2020). Scopes of Acid Washing with Varying Concentrations of Phosphoric Acid vis-à-vis Bleach Wash. Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, 11(2).
- Hoque, M. S., Rashid, M. A., & Jahan, N. (2020). Adsorptive Removal of Methylene Blue Dye Coloration from Aqueous Solution by Adsorption Using Jute Wastages.
- Mozumder, S., Chakraborty, S., & Hoque, M. S. (2019). Evaluation of Personal Factors of Workers Affecting Productivity in RMG Sector in Bangladesh. Tekstilec, 62(3).
- Hoque, M. S., Chakraborty, S., Hossain, M. F., & Alam, M. M. (2018). Knit Fabric Scouring with Soapnut: A Sustainable Approach Towards Textile Pre-Treatment. American Journal of Environmental Protection, 7(1), 19-22.
- Hoque, M. S., Rashid, M. A., Chowdhury, S., Chakraborty, A., & Haque, A. N. M. A. (2018). Alternative Washing of Cotton Denim Fabrics by Natural Agents. American Journal of Environmental Protection, 7(6), 79-83.
- Hoque, M.S., Hossain, M. J., Imtiaz, M. A., Das, S., & Rashid, M. A. (2018). Scope of Dry Wood & Wood Composite Alternate to Stone in Case of Acid Wash on Denim Fabric. International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, 8(2), 382-388.
Conference/Symposium Oral Presentation
- Hoque, M. S., Saha, A., Chung, H., Dolez, P. I., (2020, March). Effect of Hydrothermal Aging on High-Performance Fibers used in Fire-Protective Fabrics. Institute of Textile Science (ITS) Symposium, March 9-10, 2021.
- Hoque, M. S., Saha, A., Chung, H., Dolez, P. I.,(2021, June). Hydrothermal Aging Behavior of Fire-Protective Fabrics- Effect on Mechanical Performance and Surface Condition. 32nd Canadian Material Science Conference (CMSC), June 2-4, 2021.
Conference/Symposium Poster Presentation
- Hoque, M. S., Saha, A., Dolez, P. I., (2020, March). Effect of Moisture on High-Performance Fiber-An Experimental Study. ALES GSA Symposium, University of Alberta, Canada.
- Saha, A., Hoque, M. S., Chung, H., Dolez, P. I., (2021, June). Mechanical Behavior of High-Performance Fire-Protective Fabrics and the Effect of Hydrothermal Aging. 32nd Canadian Material Science Conference (CMSC), June 2-4, 2021.